With our 40+ years of experience in the field of safety footwear, we are experts in the characteristics that safety footwear should have. After studying the risks that a worker’s footwear might face, we recommend you consider the following points when purchasing your new work shoe:
- Choose the size that ensures correct adaptability to your foot. (Not everything is a matter of size, the design also plays an important role. We recommend that you read our previous post where we cover how to correctly choose the size of our work shoes.)
- Adequate weight, ideally as light as possible
- Perspiration elimination through the shaft or the material of the footwear
- Some level of flexibility
- Sole design that absorbs energy in the part of the heel
- A closure that prevents the penetration of foreign bodies into the footwear
- Insoles should have sweat absorption properties
- Sole design that provides stability to the user
- To avoid discomfort, the design should not have points or seams that compress the foot or cause discomfort
Workers are provided safety or work footwear free of charge by the companies. Workers are responsible for their correct use and hygienic state. Therefore, they must prioritize the shoe’s maintenance and request a change of their work shoes when necessary.
When To Change Safety Footwear?
Keep in mind that personal protective equipment (PPE), such as safety footwear, is only suitable when it is in perfect condition. This will fully ensure the protective function for which it was intended.
When work footwear is used properly for the job and the purpose for which it was designed, it will have an average useful life of around one year. In most cases, the useful life of footwear for professional use is related to the conditions of use and the quality of its maintenance. You should carry out a regular check of the footwear. If you find its condition is poor, it should be replaced.
In short, safety footwear should be replaced when there is:
- Deformation of the toe or insole
- Breakage in any component of the footwear
- Cracks or assembly alterations in the structure of the footwear